Published on August 22nd, 2014 | by Staff2
2014 Video Game Power Rankings: August
Another month has gone by but Titanfall remains at the top. But with games season fast approaching, how much longer can it hold on?
10t. Shovel Knight (7 points, -2 position change) -It is the best NES game to come out in 20 years, except it is on the WiiU (and Steam).
10t. Final Fantasy XIV (7 points, new) – An MMO on our Power Rankings? Oh my. What is the world coming to?
9t. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call (8 points, -1 position change) – This was honestly one of the reasons I bought a 2DS this year, because of how much I loved playing the original Theatrhythm. One thing I can count on: Square-Enix has an amazing library of music that never gets old.
9t. Galactic Civilizations III (8 points, -2 position change) – Now in beta and at a price people can actually afford! Sadly, I won’t be playing again until my new laptop arrives, but excitement for GalCiv abounds.
8t. Wolfenstein: The New Order (9 points, -2 position change) – Jeff loves it. The rest of us couldn’t care less.
8t. Quiz-Up (9 points, -1 position change) – Chris is still infatuated with this trivia game. Will anything on mobile overtake it?
8t. Divinity: Original Sin (9 points, new) – We may have put this in 8th place (tied with… everything) but it’s peerless this year in the RPG genre.
7t. South Park: The Stick of Truth (11 points, -2 position change) – Paper Mario gameplay mixed with a season of South Park. It gets the humor just right and that is why it has stuck around in our rankings for this long.
7t. Diablo III: Reaper of Souls (11 points, returning) – Hack. Slash. Kill. Loot. Repeat. One of the best games from two years ago is now one of the best games of 2014.
6. Assassin’s Creed Unity (13 points, returning) – More trailers, more info, more revolution, more excitement. Can’t wait for the first truly next gen entry in this series.
5. Civilization: Beyond Earth (14 points, -1 position change) – Firaxis has been a major player the past few years, XCOM: Enemy Unknown being their last gem. Evolving the Civilization series in a different direction can’t go wrong with them behind the creative wheel.
4. Alien: Isolation (15 points, =, 1 first place vote) – We know we should be super skeptical but we can’t help ourselves. Alien: Isolation looks like the title that finally gets it all right.
3. Mario Kart 8 (18 points, =) – Mario still demands our respect, or else he will run us over.
2. Destiny (35 points, =, 1 first place vote) – I haven’t enjoyed a beta as much as I did the Destiny beta since Bad Company 2. If that is any indication of how much I love Destiny, I am predicting Destiny to place highly not just this year, but on multiple “Top” lists in the future.
1. Titanfall (39 points, =, 2 first place votes) – Three expansion packs later, this game is still going strong. Titanfall, I’ve fallen for you.
If you had to predict your top 10 list at the end of 2014, what would it look like? Let us know in the comments below.